The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the second film in the trilogy that started with An Unexpected Journey and has a runtime of two hours and thirty-two minutes. The film features Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey.
Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield, Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug the Dragon, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug FAQs have been answered, and we have included some of the most important ones below. and Evangeline Lilly as Tauriel.
- 1 FAQs:
- 1.1 What Happens in the Hobbit Desolation of Smaug?
- 1.2 What Is the Hobbit About the Summary Book?
- 1.3 What Is the Main Story of the Hobbit?
- 1.4 What Is the Desolation of Smaug Based on?
- 1.5 Is There a Hobbit 4 Coming Out?
- 1.6 Who Kills Smaug?
- 1.7 Who Originally Played King Thranduil?
- 1.8 Why Did Gandalf Choose Bilbo?
- 1.9 What Is the Goal in the Hobbit?
- 1.10 Is the Hobbit for Adults?
- 1.11 How Old Is Bilbo in the Hobbit?
- 1.12 What Kind of Story Is the Hobbit?
- 1.13 Should I Read the Hobbit First?
- 1.14 Why Doesn’t the Ring Affects Bilbo?
- 1.15 Why Didn’t Gandalf Know Bilbo Had the Ring?
- 1.16 Why Does Thranduil’s Face Melt?
- 1.17 What Movie Is Thranduil?
- 1.18 Who Was Thranduil’s Wife?
- 1.19 Who Became King After Dáin?
- 1.20 Who Became King After Dain?
- 1.21 How Old Is Smaug?
- 1.22 Are Our Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Connected?
- 1.23 Was the Hobbit Trilogy a Success?
- 1.24 Who Owned Sting Before Bilbo?
- 1.25 Why Is Gandalf an Old Man?
- 1.26 Is Gandalf the Most Powerful?
- 1.27 Was the Arkenstone in the Book the Hobbit?
- 1.28 What Happened Between an Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug?
- 1.29 Is the Hobbit on Netflix?
- 1.30 What Happens in the Hobbit Trilogy?
- 1.31 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- 1.32 What Is the Climax of the Hobbit?
- 1.33 Why Did Bilbo Age So Quickly?
- 1.34 How Did Sméagol Become Gollum?
- 1.35 How Many Years Did Bilbo Have the Ring?
- 1.36 How Hot Is Smaug’s Fire?
- 1.37 Can Smaug See Bilbo?
- 1.38 Did the Dwarves Revisit Bilbo?
- 1.39 What Were Gandalf’s Last Words to Bilbo in This Book?
- 1.40 Is Ancalagon the Strongest Dragon?
- 1.41 How Was Ancalagon Defeated?
- 1.42 Why Do the Dunedain Live Long?
What Happens in the Hobbit Desolation of Smaug?
In The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug, the Dwarves are being attacked by the dragon, Smaug. The dwarves are trying to escape and take the treasure with them. They get lost in a maze and eventually find themselves in a room with a large door.
The door is locked from the other side, and they don’t know how to get out. Thorin Oakenshield comes up with a plan to use the gold to bribe the dragon so he can open the door. He throws a bag of gold at the dragon’s feet and says that if he opens it, he will stop attacking them.
What Is the Hobbit About the Summary Book?
The Hobbit is a novel by J.R.R. Tolkien, first published on 15 November 1937 in the United Kingdom by Allen and Unwin and in the United States on 21 December 1937 by Houghton Mifflin Company. It is the second book in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, following The Fellowship of the Ring and preceding The Two Towers.
The story tells of Bilbo Baggins’ journey from his home in the Shire to capture Gollum, who has stolen the magical ring from Frodo Baggins. Along the way, he meets Gandalf, a wizard who helps him to protect Frodo and reclaim the ring.
What Is the Main Story of the Hobbit?
The Hobbit is a story about Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who travels with the wizard Gandalf and thirteen dwarves to reclaim the treasure of Smaug, a dragon that had been terrorizing the Dwarves for many years. Along the way, they encounter many adventures and meet many interesting characters. The main story of The Hobbit is about Bilbo Baggins and his journey to reclaim the treasure of Smaug from the dragon.
What Is the Desolation of Smaug Based on?
There is no one answer to this question based on the reader’s interpretation. However, some possible variations could be that the desolation of Smaug is based on his vast size and power or the destruction he caused during the Battle of Five Armies.
Is There a Hobbit 4 Coming Out?
There is no definitive answer, but it seems as though there may be a hobbit 4 in the works. A recent report from The Hollywood Reporter stated that Warner Bros. is currently in the early stages of developing a fourth installment of the Hobbit trilogy. However, no official word has been released yet, and it is still very early in the development process. So until more information becomes available, it is difficult to say whether or not a hobbit four will be released.
Who Kills Smaug?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it is still up for debate. However, some popular theories include:
- Gandalf the Grey kills Smaug with his sword Glamdring.
- Bard the Bowman shoots an arrow into Smaug’s eye, killing him.
- The dwarves use their bombs to blow up Smaug’s chest, causing him to combust and die.
Who Originally Played King Thranduil?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it is up for interpretation. Some people believe that the actor who originally played King Thranduil was Sean Astin, while others think it was John Rhys-Davies.
Why Did Gandalf Choose Bilbo?
There are many reasons why Gandalf chose Bilbo. Some of the reasons include:
- Bilbo was a kind and good person who had a lot of courage.
- He was intelligent and could think on his feet.
- He was loyal to friends and would do anything for them.
- He had a lot of knowledge about dragons, which was essential to Gandalf because he knew that Bilbo could help him fight against the dragon Smaug.
What Is the Goal in the Hobbit?
The game’s goal is to help the dwarves reclaim their homeland of Erebor from the dragon Smaug.
Is the Hobbit for Adults?
There is no definitive answer as to whether or not The Hobbit is appropriate for adults. It is a story that may be too violent and intense for some, while others may find it an exciting adventure. Ultimately, it is up to the individual reader to decide if they are comfortable reading a book with mature content.
How Old Is Bilbo in the Hobbit?
Bilbo is in his early sixties when he is first introduced to the wizard Gandalf and the company of dwarves. He would be about 112 years old at the time of The Lord of the Rings.
What Kind of Story Is the Hobbit?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it can depend on the interpretation of the Hobbit. However, one popular understanding is that the Hobbit is a small, hairy creature that lives in a hole in the ground and eats mushrooms.
Should I Read the Hobbit First?
No, you don’t need to read the Hobbit first. However, it is a great book, and if you enjoy reading fantasy novels, it is worth reading.
Why Doesn’t the Ring Affects Bilbo?
There are a few reasons why the Ring does not affect Bilbo. First, Bilbo is wearing the ring on his right hand, considered the “good” hand. Secondly, he has already been affected by the crew in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey when he was forced to step into the fire. This made him very brave and confident, and it is unlikely that he would be affected again by the ring.
Why Didn’t Gandalf Know Bilbo Had the Ring?
A few possible explanations for why Gandalf didn’t know that Bilbo had the Ring. One possibility is that Gandalf was not present when Bilbo found the Ring. This would mean that he did not see Bilbo put it on and so he would not have been able to identify it if he had seen it later.
Another possibility is that Gandalf may have been unaware of the existence of the Ring until after Bilbo had already left the Shire. If this is true, then Gandalf would have missed an opportunity to stop Bilbo from going on his journey and taking the Ring with him.
Why Does Thranduil’s Face Melt?
There is no definitive answer to this question since it could be interpreted in many ways. Some possible explanations could include:
- Thranduil’s face melts because he is a vampire, and vampires can withstand extreme temperatures better than humans.
- Thranduil’s face melts because he uses an intense magical spell that causes his face to melt.
- Thranduil’s face melts because he is angry or upset, and his facial features reflect that emotion.
What Movie Is Thranduil?
Thranduil is the Elvenking in The Lord of the Rings mentioned in The Hobbit. He is a great king and Lord, and his realm includes parts of the Misty Mountains.
Who Was Thranduil’s Wife?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as Tolkien never explicitly mentions Thranduil’s wife. However, some theories suggest that she may have been one of the Elven Queens who accompanied him on his journey into exile. Alternatively, she may have been a Wood-elf who he fell in love with while still in Middle-earth.
Who Became King After Dáin?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it changes with each retelling of the legend. However, some versions of the story say that Dáin’s son, Thorin Oakenshield, became king after his father’s death.
Who Became King After Dain?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the version of the Bible you are reading. However, in some versions of the Bible, Dain became king after his father was killed.
How Old Is Smaug?
There is no definitive answer to this question as the book does not mention Smaug’s age. However, from the context of the story, it can be assumed that he is pretty old. For example, when Bilbo Baggins and his companions escape from the dragon’s lair, they run into a room with “a vast bed on which lay an ancient dragon” (pg. 275). This could be interpreted to mean that Smaug is quite old since dragons don’t typically live much longer than 1000 years.
Are Our Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Connected?
There is no definitive answer, but some people believe that the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are connected. Some theories suggest that Bilbo Baggins is a descendant of Frodo Baggins and that Gandalf is a descendant of Elrond. Others believe that Tolkien was inspired by his own experiences in the war to write about these characters and their world.
Was the Hobbit Trilogy a Success?
There is no one answer to this question as it depends on individual preferences. However, based on the overall reaction to the Hobbit trilogy, it seems that it was a success. Many people loved the films for their visual effects and the storyline. Some people also appreciated how Peter Jackson paid homage to the original books while still creating his own version of them. Overall, it seems that fans of Tolkien’s work were happy with the trilogy and would recommend it to others.
Who Owned Sting Before Bilbo?
There are no definitive answers to this question as it is a matter of speculation. However, some people believe Sting may have owned Sting before Bilbo Baggins.
Why Is Gandalf an Old Man?
There are many possible answers to this question, but the most likely one is that Gandalf is old because he has been around for a long time. He has seen a lot of things and learned a lot, which has made him wise.
Is Gandalf the Most Powerful?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on personal opinion. However, some people believe that Gandalf is one of the most powerful characters in the Lord of the Rings series. He is known for his wisdom and magical powers, making him a formidable opponent.
Was the Arkenstone in the Book the Hobbit?
The Arkenstone was not actually in the book The Hobbit, but it was later added to the story. It is a significant plot point and is used to help Bilbo find his way home.
No, the films were made by Peter Jackson and his team of artists, editors, and production crew. The hobbit characters did not appear in the trilogy’s first film – The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring – but they were created specifically for this adaptation.
What Happened Between an Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug?
There is no definitive answer, as the events between the two films are left open to interpretation. However, some possible explanations include:
- The death of Smaug may have led to a change in Bard’s outlook and motivation, leading him to want to continue his journey in search of knowledge and adventure.
- The events that took place between An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug may have caused a rift between Bard and Thranduil, resulting in Bard leaving Mirkwood for good.
- It is possible that something happened during the course of An Unexpected Journey that led to Thranduil being less than pleased with Bard’s performance and decision-making, culminating in his dismissal from Mirkwood.
Is the Hobbit on Netflix?
No, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is not currently available to stream on Netflix. However, the first two films of the trilogy – The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers – are available to watch on Netflix.
What Happens in the Hobbit Trilogy?
In this first film, Bilbo Baggins is forced to leave his home in the Shire and journey into the Lonely Mountain with the help of Gandalf the Grey. There, they are captured by Smaug the Magnificent, a dragon who wants to enter Middle-earth and rule overall.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
In this second film, Bilbo and the dwarves are forced to flee from Smaug while setting siege to Lake-town. They eventually make their way to Erebor, where they discover that Thorin Oakenshield has been captured by Orcs and taken to Mount Doom.
What Is the Climax of the Hobbit?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the reader’s interpretation. However, some people believe that the climax of The Hobbit is when Gandalf sacrifices himself to destroy the Balrog.
Why Did Bilbo Age So Quickly?
There are many possible explanations for why Bilbo aged so quickly. One possibility is that he was exposed to a lot of radiation while on the quest. Another possibility is that he was not eating correctly, and his body was not getting the nutrients it needed. Lack of food can also lead to a rapid aging process.
How Did Sméagol Become Gollum?
There is no definitive answer to this question. Some people believe that Sméagol became Gollum because the Ring corrupted him. Others think that Gollum was always a vile and wicked creature and that the Ring simply made him even eviler.
How Many Years Did Bilbo Have the Ring?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it changes with each reader’s interpretation. Some readers might say that Bilbo had the Ring for only a few years, while others might have it for many centuries.
How Hot Is Smaug’s Fire?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the edition of The Hobbit and the translation. However, in some translations, Smaug’s fire is hotter than the sun.
Can Smaug See Bilbo?
No, Smaug cannot see Bilbo. Tolkien wrote the story with this in mind, as any does not see Bilbo as the main character until the very end.
Did the Dwarves Revisit Bilbo?
No, the Dwarves did not revisit Bilbo. The last time they were seen was in The Hobbit, when Gandalf and the other members of the Fellowship left to travel to Rivendell.
What Were Gandalf’s Last Words to Bilbo in This Book?
In the book “The Lord of the Rings,” Gandalf tells Bilbo Baggins his last words before dying. They are: “You should not have come hither. This is not your place.
Is Ancalagon the Strongest Dragon?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the definition of the “strongest dragon.” However, some popular contenders for the title of strongest dragon include:
Black dragons are considered to be the most potent type of dragon. They are known for their intense fire attacks and their massive size.
Green dragons are known for their intelligence, strength, and magical abilities. They are also speedy and can fly very high.
How Was Ancalagon Defeated?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it varies from person to person. However, some popular theories include:
- Ancalagon was defeated by the combined forces of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table.
- Sir Gawain slew Ancalagon after he tricked the dragon into drinking a potion that made him sleepy.
- Ancalagon was finally killed when Sir Galahad stabbed him in the heart with a sword that the Lady of the Lake had blessed.
Why Do the Dunedain Live Long?
There are many reasons why the Dunedain live long. Some of the key reasons include:
- They have a high intake of antioxidants, which help protect them from diseases and cancer.
- They eat a healthy diet full of fruits and vegetables, which are rich in vitamins and minerals.
- They avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, which can damage their health.
- They exercise regularly, which helps them stay fit and healthy.
Many questions and concerns have arisen after the release of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. We’ve compiled a list of FAQs to help answer some of the most frequently asked questions we’ve received since the film’s release in December 2013.